The next generation of the WirelessHD specification is available now to Adopters. We have provided a detailed specification overview here.
WirelessHD is a wireless high definition digital interface technology operating in the unlicensed and globally available 60 GHz frequency band and represents the first consumer application of 60 GHz technology. Products developed based on the specification will provide consumers with a secure, quick and easy way to wirelessly connect and share data or play their HD content among a wide range of devices. It is suitable for a wide range of devices including laoptops, tablets, televisions, Blu-ray players, DVRs, camcorders, gaming consoles, adapter products, just to name a few. The specification also includes provisions for universal remote control of all WirelessHD compliant devices.
New WirelessHD specification capabilities include:
- Supports data transmission rates at 10-28 Gbps, more than 20x faster than the highest 802.11n data rates.
- Portable device support. The scalability of the technology has been extended to support lossless video streaming plus 1 Gbps data connectivity in low power portable devices such as tablets, portable media players and smartphones.
- 3D over WirelessHD. Defines common 3D formats and resolutions for WirelessHD-enabled devices.
- 4K resolution–Support enables devices to support HD devices four times beyond the resolution of 1080p. WirelessHD can transmit content at the same resolution as many digital theaters.
- Data support. Connected devices support syncÃ¢ï¿œï¿œn go file transfers at faster than 1 Gbps for portable and fixed devices. Also provides for IP connectivity for Internet access and networking of WirelessHD devices.
- HDCP 2.0 content protection over WirelessHD. In addition to DTCP, WirelessHD includes support for HDCP 2.0 content protection. WirelessHD is the only standard to support both streaming and copying of multimedia content.